Wednesday, January 12, 2011

I'm pretty sure newborns aren't this small.

My not-quite-completed hat

To begin with, this thing is tiny. Too tiny. I know newborns are small, but I've been around enough to know they're not this small. I'm sure my problem is that I used too thin of yarn & I think I might crochet small. My finished project should be 6 inches wide, when flat. My actual hat is 5 inches wide. That's actually a lot better than I thought. However, it should be 7 inches long, and is only 3.

I ended up using my 5.50 hook, as the 3.75 was beyond too small. I also ended up using a different yarn than I had originally planned. The blue yarn you see here is my practice yarn. It's quite scratchy, but easy to learn with. Sadly, I ran out of yarn, which explains why the hat is 4 inches too short and sans ears.

As a first go, I'm pretty proud of myself. Though the hat is unusable, I wouldn't be using this yarn anyway, so I'm ok with that. I plan on trying again with the original yarn and my 5.50 hook. I'm hoping I will have an easier time with this yarn now that I understand the pattern and what is expected of me from it. Luckily I have plenty of this other yarn, so I should have no problem completing one this time. I am also hoping this yarn is thicker, allowing for a larger final product. I will also be attempting to keep my chains larger, both to make a larger hat and to make it easier to maneuver all around.

Wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. Great first attempt!!! It all takes practice. I just had to adjust Eva's "new" new hat a few times to get it right. I hope it fits her while she is awake. I was carefully testing it on her head while she was sleeping.
    Oh, and from your previous post.... "worsted weight" is like "normal" yarn. Red Heart Super Saver-type stuff.
    And, if you haven't already, join ravelry.com. They have TONS of free patterns. It's where I have been getting most of my inspiration. And I think where I got the pattern for the ears on the hat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Julie! Thanks for the info on "worsted weight" & I will definitely check out ravelry.com. I think you'll be thoroughly surprised with my next post :)

    ReplyDelete